Jackfruit “Tuna” Vegan Sandwiches from @mymeatlessmeals
Ingredients - • 200 g green (young) jackfruit, cut into small chunks
• water for boiling
• 1/4 tsp salt (I use black salt)
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 tsp nori powder (kelp powder)
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder • 1/2 tsp onion powder • 1 tbs lemon juice
• 4 tbs vegan mayonnaise (or more- if you enjoy living on the edge 😁) Instructions:
1. Boil green jackfruit chunks in water on medium heat until softened. (About 40-50 minutes, depends on the kind of jackfruit you use).
3. Drain cooked jackfruit chunks and transfer to a food processor. Pulse blend for 5-10 seconds just until the texture comes out looking like flakey tuna (as shown in video).
4. Use cheesecloth or a nut bag to extract the excess water from your jackfruit “flakes”. Make sure you squeeze out all the liquid. The dryer your jackfruit gets, the better the texture for your vegan tuna!
5. In a bowl, add your fake tuna, followed by seasonings: salt, pepper, nori powder, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, and vegan mayonnaise. Mix well. Have a little taste and add more salt, lemon juice, vegan mayonnaise, or even vinegar if preferred.
6. Construct your vegan tuna sandwiches. I use bread, greens of choice, and tomato slices. But you could add anything to your sandwiches- as long as they’re cruelty free. 😋