A stall at Blk 89 Circuit Rd unfortunately caught fire in the wee hours of the morning today. Though the fire was quickly put out by the SCDF, the stall was damaged and the adjacent stalls were also affected. The Town Council has been on the ground since the fire fighters extinguished the flames. The TC is now conducting rewiring and repair works but the hawker centre (market portion is business as usual) will have to close for a few days to allow the works to be carried out. The TC is doing its best to complete the repairs ASAP. To help hawkers mitigate the income loss, I asked the TC to discount this month’s S&CC for the hawker stalls based on the number of days they had to close for the repair, and I am glad that TC has agreed - thank you!
This fire has been unfortunate. What was commendable, however, was how the community came together to help. Most notable was how the hawkers responded. Many of the stallholders donated their food ingredients to the VWOs in MacPherson to support our elderly under their care. Some stallholders also spontaneously decided to pool together some food items and drinks for all the hawkers to enjoy and bond over.
I will closely monitor the progress of the repair of the hawker centre. We hope that the centre can reopen soon so that hawkers can resume their business and residents can continue to enjoy the good food there. Where further help is needed, my grassroots team and I will also see how best we can support.
#89CircuitRoad #Hawker #KampongSpirit #AtMacPhersonWeCare #MacPherson #MacPhersonSMC