A great holiday detox from stress or over indulging 🙏🏻 definitely save if you want to do this in the new year or tag a friend who could use it! Read below for full explanation! Thanks for sharing @miss_sunitha ・・・
Detoxifying Yoga Poses
Twists and folds are my favourite because they do wonders for the digestive system. I love incorporating them into my normal practice, but more so when I’ve been feeling heavy, bloated or gassy. The twists and folds squeezes your intestines and internal organs, which helps to flush out unwanted gases and toxins.
These poses shouldn’t be done right after food. Give it at least 4 hours after food, although I personally prefer doing them in the morning on an empty stomach.
In all the folding poses (downward dog, wide legged fold, paschimottanasana & pavanmuktasana) think of...
• folding from the hips, not the back/spine
• engage the hip flexors and thighs to keep the thighs as close to the front body as possible
• keep the ribs in and spine straight
• lift/extend the tailbone as much as possible (helps in keeping the spine straight too)
• suck the belly in by engaging the pelvic muscles, pulling the energy upwards
• with inhalations, think of lengthening the spine; and with exhalations work on engaging the hip flexors and thighs to bring the thighs closer to the front body.
In twisting poses, think of...
• twisting from the belly first, then chest, and lastly the neck (the neck doesn’t actually twist, you would simply just gaze over the shoulder)
• work on lengthening the spine with inhalations, and only deepening the twist on exhalations (when deepening the twist, again it should start from the belly)
• the inhalations may be shorted than the exhalations, but try as much as possible to extend the length of the inhalations by breathing through the side of the lung that isn’t restricted from the twist
• keep shoulders square - the twist shouldn’t come from the shoulders
• notice if the shoulders are hunched together or close to the ears - if they are, try to straighten the spine, lift from the chest and relax the shoulders down
#yoga #yogaretreat #yogajourney #yogadaily #yogateacher #yogaforli