♥️ Lets talk about our beloved antagonist ...
• Yuwen Hu born in 513, died in 572 (59 years). Yes, he was 28 years older than Yang Jian. But the drama version made him so much younger 😅
• His wife was Lady Yuan but his concubines were not listed in history. He got 11 sons and 2 daughters recorded.
• When his cousin general Yuwen Tai passed away, he entrusted his bloodlines to to Yuwen Hu.
• In early 557 Yuwen Hu forced Western Wei King to surrender and he put his nephew Yuwen Jue (second son of Yuwen Tai) as a new king, naming their reign Northern Zhou.
• The reason Yuwen Hu put Jue the second son, instead of Yu (the oldest son) was because Yu’s mother was only a low level concubine.
• But months later Yuwen Jue tried to kill Yuwen Hu helped by Minister Zhao, but failed. (Dugu Xin was said not involved because he was the one who opposed Zhao, but Yuwen Hu still forced him to commit suicide).
• Yuwen Hu replaced Jue (he put him under house arrest) with Yu.
• He killed Yu three years later after found out Yu was a brilliant king that might just against him someday. So he killed him first.
• Yuwen Hu install Yuwen Yong as new king, and Yong was seemed very respectful toward Hu, but later ambushed and killed Hu.
• My personal conclusion: 😞... Yuwen Hu was not that evil, but he just an old man who was too cling onto his power and control. Therefore his nephews quite annoyed 😅 ...
• He has no relationship at all to Yuwen Yu’s wife, Lady Dugu (in the drama Dugu Banruo). His love toward Banruo drama purpose only.