‘The Building with the Crack’🏚🏚🏚
A lot of people think when seeing this building that it it’s a building with damage from WWII, restored in a creative way. That's not it. This historic reconstruction of a monastery building was actually designed and built around the time of the war 1940-1945. The building is connected to the ‘Minderbroeders’ monastery and runs across the border of the original city wall of Maastricht. The crack is therefore deliberately placed in this piece of wall, because it is literally and figuratively the crack between the historic city center and the later developed neighbourhoods. Nowadays the State Archives Limburg is located in this building, where many historical documents and pieces are stored.