All I want for Christmas is… #viennetta
350ml whole milk
150g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
400ml double cream
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g dark chocolate, broken up
50g coconut oil
45g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
1. Heat the milk, sugar and a large pinch of salt in a pan. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, then add the pod. Cover, remove from heat and infuse for 1 hour.
2. Place a 2-litre bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice. Add the cream to the smaller bowl then set a strainer on top.
3. Combine the egg yolks. Reheat the milk then pour a little onto the yolks, whisking until combined and warmed through. Add to the pan with the milk. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom, until the custard thickens.
4. Strain into the cream and stir over the ice until cool. Stir in the vanilla extract, cover and chill for 2-3 hours. Remove the vanilla pod and freeze the custard in an ice cream maker.
5. Brush a 1½ litre loaf tin with oil then line with plenty of cling film. Heat 200g chocolate and the coconut oil in a microwave until melted. Cool.
6. Quickly add a quarter of the ice cream to the loaf tin, spreading flat. Spread over a thin layer of chocolate and sprinkle with 1 tbsp hazelnuts. Transfer the loaf tin and ice cream to your freezer for 5 minutes.
7. Repeat until you have three layers of chocolate sauce, finishing with a fourth layer of ice cream. Cover with cling film and set in the freezer. Leave the remaining chocolate sauce in a covered bowl in the fridge.
8. Place a plate in the freezer. Melt the remaining chocolate, stir, then spread thinly on the plate and put back in the freezer. Leave until firm, then break up into shards. Return to the freezer.
9. Gently reheat the sauce and leave to cool. Remove the Viennetta from the freezer and use the cling film to pull it out of the tin and turn onto a plate. Drizzle with the sauce, then sprinkle over the remaining nuts and chocolate shards.
#viennetta #viennettaicecream #icecream #icecreamofinsta #icecreamparty #icecreamsandwich #icecreaminwinter