Credit to #twelveloaves challenge #recipes #cookbook #cooking #glutenfree #vegan #veganrecipes #baking #deliciois #parmesan #basil #diet #health Gluten Free Basil Parmesan Popovers
4 large eggs
215g (just under 1 cup) milk
85g (1 cup) tapioca flour
110g (1 cup)white rice flour, fine
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced fine
2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan (divided between the 12 popovers)
lard, for popover pan
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk well. Add the two together. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
3. Mince the basil and combine with egg batter.
4. Let batter sit for 15 minutes. While batter is sitting, put a small dab of lard or butter into each popover. My pan has 12 popovers. Put pan in oven long enough to heat pan and melt lard, about 5 minutes.
5. Take pan out of oven and ladle the batter into each popover. They should be about 3/4's of the way full. Sprinkle the batter with a dusting of parmesan cheese.
6. Return to a very hot oven and let cook18-20 minutes. Do not open the oven to keep checking on them. This may cause them to not rise or POP.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate leftovers. My kids reheat them in the microwave with butter, lemon and powdered sugar.