In honor Sunset Cooperative Nursery School's first Open House of the year this Thursday I wanted to share what drew us to the Co-op life and why I love it!
1) Being in a coop comes with responsibility- as a mom who left work to stay home I knew having obligations outside of the home would be good for my sanity. Now, I'm on our fundraising team. I get to use my experience in event planning and fundraising to support my community - it's super affirming to use my skills to support a community I love. Also, I have a weekly parent help day - I spend one afternoon with my kid AND OTHER ADULTS and their kids. It's awesome.
2) Coops offer all kinds resources- as a new mom I was looking for support in better understand positive parenting: as part of the coop community I get to (and I'm required to) attend parent education nights. These education nights have been life changing. I feel like I understand my kid and myself so much more now that I've taken the time to learn more about her emotional world as a preschooler.
3) Shared responsibility creates community- like many moms my social life changed when I had kids and I was looking for more people in the same life stage as me who could journey with me and my family: being part of the coop has helped me grow my village of support. When my 10 m old son had cancer my coop community stepped up in a huge way; but cancer aside, my community is fun to be around. I love going to 3 yr old birthday parties, because I love the adults that will be there.
4) On a practical level - Coops are affordable. Yes, it costs less because you work more but I enjoy the work and as a SAHM I have time for the work, but I don't have the money for a private preschool.
5) Preschool gives me and my kid a break - I love my daughter and she loves me, but we are both a lot to handle full time. Being in a Coop she is getting to know loving and trustworthy adults and that is important to me. I also get 4 afternoons a week to spend with my twins - who usually nap during that time so I can get stuff done.
The Coops life isn't for everyone, but it's perfect for us. If your considering it I'd love to chat!
#sfkids #letthembelittle #momlife #toddlerlove