Today is world Down syndrome day!
Here are quick 8 things you should know about Down syndrome (by TheDrugCode)
Down syndrome day
To celebrate today, we will list some key points you need to know about Down syndrome
1. Is Down syndrome hereditary?
Ans - Down syndrome is not hereditary
2. Do you think I did this to my baby? Because I was eating everything in front of me whilst pregnant.
Ans - No honey, it's not what you ate during pregnancy! Down syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality which randomly occurs during formation of reproductive cells in a parent
3. The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental ability of an 8- or 9-year-old child, but this can vary widely.
4. Down syndrome (DS or DNS), also known as trisomy 21
5. The possibility increases from less than 0.1% in 20-year-old mothers to 3% in those age 45.
6. Those with Down syndrome nearly always have physical and intellectual disabilities
7. They also typically have poor immune function and generally reach developmental milestones at a later age.
8. Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by an unusual chromosome setup. The typical effects are delayed physical growth, mild to moderate intellectual disability, characteristic facial features (people with. Down syndrome often face physical health issues)
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurotype with mostly unknown causes (please note that a certain percentage of people with Down syndrome also have autism). The typical effects are impaired social cognition and communication, sensory sensitivity, and a narrow focus of interests.
Regarding surface appearance, Down syndrome individuals are more clearly identifiable by a difference in the way they look due to chromosomal difference.
#downsyndrome #learningdisabilities #learningdisability #worlddownsyndromeday2017 studying? #thedrugcode #doctor #doctors #doctorlife #pharmacy #pharmacist #nurse #nurses #pharmacyschool #pharmacists #medschool #medschoolproblems #instadaily #instapost #instameme #physicaltherapy #dentists