The Importance of a Good Boxing Stance ~ by Peter Manfredo Sr.
The Boxing Stance is your foundation!
It establishes the structure you need for optimal balance, power and mobility. Therefore, It is essential that you spend time perfecting it or your structure can - and will - crumble. There are 2 types of boxers : Orthodox and Southpaw. Right Hand boxers are known as Orthodox, while Left-handed boxers are called Southpaws .
The discussion below focuses on Orthodox boxers. A Southpaw will follow the same basic rules as an Orthodox fighter except their Left hand and left foot will be in the rear of their stance .
1. Feet are in an "L" shape with Left foot in front facing your opponent and Right foot in the rear facing 3:00.
2. Width between your feet should be your own shoulders width.
3. Left shoulder should be facing opponent so that your not exposing vulnerable body parts. ( throat ,abdomen and groin)
4. Both knees slightly bent,
5. Body weight should be equally distributed down the center of your body. Weight can be shifted to rear leg if your opponent is longer.
6. Arms are high , hands level with your eyes but not obstructing your view.
7. Elbows are tucked into your ribs to protect them.
8. Back heel should be off floor with just the ball of the foot touching the surface.
9. Hands are in fists with the thumb trying to touch the ring finger, when you punch, the hands must be positioned in a fist.
Most importantly -- relax!
PS. Peter will be teaching boxing at our new Striking Beauty location at 1375 Park Avenue in Cranston, Rhode Island! Starting June 1st 2017
Check out this oldie!!!! Tiffany Chapdelaine Wetherbee Dena Raimondo Paolino
#boxing #manfredo #kickboxing #boxingstance #fitnessboxing #fitnesskickboxing #strikingbeauties #torchedkickboxing #stallone #proboxer #proinstruction #comingsoon #boxingclasses #kickboxingclasses #cranston #rhodeisland #northattleboro #plainville #massachusetts