Follow this bunch of shallots/spring onions/scallions on its journey to achieve Chinese spring onion pancake status. Perfect for meat-free Monday!
1. & 2. Chop, chop (and put the white ends into a glass of water to regrow)
3. Make dough by adding 230g of water to 400g plain flour, mixing and kneading. Even better if you have a thermomix - mix 6 sec/sp 6 and then knead for 2 min
4. Use flat palms to roll out dough into a log and then cut into evenly sized pieces of dough. Size will depend on the size of your fry pan; if they're too big they won't fit!
5. Use a rolling pin (or clean wine bottle) roll out the dough as thinly as possible into a circle. Brush with oil (sesame, rice bran, olive oil - whatever you fancy), season with salt and top with the chopped spring onions. Roll into a tube along one edge of the pancake and then coil it around itself.
6. Then using the rolling pin, flatten the spring onion filled coil of dough.
7. Heat fry pan, lightly coat with oil and pan fry both sides until golden.
8. Eat whole or cut into wedges. They're delicious when hot, straight of the pan.