Monday ruby Murray! A slow cooked Beef Rogan Josh to start the week - go on raid that spice rack! I have used a slow cooker but you could slow cook on the hob or in the oven too. I have used one syn for the whole dish to sear the beef, but if you want to keep this syn free you could use an alternative method to keep the beef moist and marinade the beef in a couple of tablespoons of yoghurt for an hour before popping in the slow cooker.
Ingredients to serve 4 (a great batch cook idea too!)
500g beef, cubed
1 tbsp of cornflour (1 syn)
2 large onions, thinly sliced in half moons
8 medium tomatoes quartered
3-4 garlic cloves,minced, grated or finely chopped
A thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated, or finely chopped
1 tbs garam masala
1 - 2 tsp hot chilli powder (add more for hotter or less for milder dish)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sweetener
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes or passata
1/2 pint beef stock
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Fat free natural yoghurt
1. Toss the beef in the cornflour
2. Heat a pan, spritz with spray oil and sear beef to colour and seal
3. Pop beef in the slow cooker
4. Heat a pan, spritz with spray oil and add garam masala, chilli, turmeric, paprika, ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon and pepper to the pan to release the aromas- about 1 minute.
5. Add the chopped tinned tomatoes (or Passata) and beef stock, to the spices and mix then add to the beef.
6. Spritz a pan and add the sliced onions. Add a sprinkle of salt (this draws the water and aides the browning) and the sweetener and cook until a rich brown colour. Then add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
7. Add the cooked onions and tomato wedges to the beef. (You can add more speed if you would like too, most veggies work in this curry)
8. Slow cook for 5-12 hours.
9. Finish with a few tablespoons of yoghurt to taste, a handful of chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.
I have served with steamed veg, basmati rice and onion bhaji - all syn free 😊#rubymurray #curry #currynotinahurry #slowcooker #spicerack