#PlasticFreeJuly starts next week- so it’s time to get yourself organised!
Here are the basics I use every day to minimise my plastic consumption:
• Reusable grocery bags- check the tags and materials and avoid ones lined with plastic. Go for hemp or cotton, or make your own using old t-shirts!
• Reusable produce bags- so important for things like leafy greens, fruits and veges. I use @onyalife bags which are made from 100% recycled plastic bottles.
• Drink bottle- reusing plastic ones is dangerous for your health, as well as the environment. Over time the plastic leeches toxic chemicals into the water, which end up in your body. I recommend a stainless steel bottle which is easy to wash and sturdy.
• Straws- plastic straws are used for 12 minutes on average, then thrown away and can last for hundreds of years. That’s a lot of waste for a couple of sips. Invest in reusable straws like my ones from @ever.eco, and remember to ask for no straw when buying drinks!
• Coffee cup- so many cafes give discounts for byo cups, and the amount of landfill you’ll avoid contributing to is epic! Mine is from @tarongazoo. I recommend investing in one made of glass, bamboo or other natural and biodegradable/recyclable materials. Try to avoid ones with plastic lids.
• Cutlery- for those unplanned takeaway meals. Mine are 100% bamboo and will biodegrade in my compost.
• Bamboo toothbrush- they say you should change toothbrushes every 3-6 months. Imagine the number of plastic toothbrushes we go through given that advice! Get a bamboo one with biodegradable bristles (not plastic bristles) and keep your gums, teeth and Nature happy!
For more tips on living a plastic-free, eco friendly life, follow my blog (link in bio 📲).