Our other building on Portland Place. Speeding along the M1 many of us will be familiar with the bridge restaurant straddling the motorway at Leicester Forest East services designed by Howard V. Lobb & Partners. Perhaps less familiar is their work at 76 Portland Place, recently acquired by the RIBA for use as offices – note the RIBA headquarters (66 Portland Place) on the right.
Built for the City and Guilds of London Institute, the design of this elegant, steel-framed building clad in Portland stone was determined by the need to fit height-wise with existing buildings and limitations on window size. Core to the building’s current use is the ground floor staff 'forum' dining and meeting area which before being roofed over was originally a loading bay complete with vehicle turntable to turn mail vans in the restricted space.
Image: Photograph of 76 Portland Place, London, England, taken in 1958
Architect: Howard V. Lobb & Partners
Photographer: Colin Westwood (1920-2004)
Credit: Colin Westwood / #RIBACollections
Words by Jonathan Makepeace, British Architectural Library, RIBA. #portlandstone #architecturelovers #riba #architecture