Marathi Pithla, became my go to dish on a regular basis, when I had to cook on my own during MBA. Even if I had it on a daily basis, I could never get enough of it. That's how much I loved it, and this love affair lasted well after my studies got over 😉
Pithla, is a common man's food. It's chickpea flour, that has been cooked in sauteed onions and garlic. It's simplicity is its biggest taste factor! It's mainly eaten with bhakhri and accompanied by thecha! Yum! Yum!
Here I'm eating it with plain rice.
To make Pithla,
1. In some oil, saute mustard seeds and jeera, add hing and turmeric after they crackle.
2. To that, add chopped onions. Once onions are almost translucent, add chopped green chillies and fresh coriander, a hint of ginger paste and good quantity of garlic paste.(Traditionally speaking, ginger isn't added. But I have cooked it as per my taste. And trust me on this - add a hint of ginger, no more. And the flavours will elevate to a different level)
3. Once the onions are well done, add salt (for onions and besan), red chilli powder, dhaniya-jeera powder and a pinch of garam masala.
4. After the masalas are nicely cooked, add water and bring it to a boil and then let it simmer away.
5. After the water has been infused with herbs and spices, add besan, that has been made into a paste with water. We mix besan with water so that besan doesn't clump up and mixes in nicely.
6. Stir everything together, till the consistency firms up a bit, then let it cook with closed lid, till besan loses it rawness and is well cooked.
You can garnish it with fresh coriander and our Pithla is done! I have altered the cooking recipe to suite my taste. And that's what I love about cooking, you can alter it to your requirement or create something totally new! Hope you will try this version and enjoy it as much as I do 🤗
#foodoholic #pithla #fooddiary #spices #marathi #curry #indiancuisine #foodtalkindia #foodblogfeed #indianfood #foodideas #indiafood #foodspiration #indianrecipe #khana #delhifoodie #eatstagram #indiansnacks #spicyfood #darkfoodphoto #indiancooking #masala #chickpeas #chickpea #desifood #vegetarianfood #marathifood #indiancurry #besan