Members of the German Waffen-SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 4 “Der Führer” Division, SS-Verfügungsdivision (SS Dispositional Troops) drive through Paleisstraat near the Royal Palace in a Wanderer W11/1 after the capitulation of Dutch forces.
Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands. May 15 1940. (Nb. they are towing a 75-mm light infantry cannon LeIG 18)
As of May 1940, the Division was part of the campaign in the west used in The Netherlands, Belgium and France.
The Battle of the Netherlands lasted from 10 May 1940 until the main Dutch forces surrendered on the 14th. Dutch troops in the province of Zealand continued to resist the Wehrmacht until 17 May when Germany completed its occupation of the whole nation.
After the close of the Battle of France, the SS-VT was officially renamed the Waffen-SS. In December 1940 the Germania Regiment would be removed from the Verfügungs-Division and used to form the cadre of a new division, SS-Division Germania.
It was made up of mostly "Nordic" volunteers from the newly conquered territories, Danes, Norwegians, Dutch and Flemings.
By the start of 1941 the Verfügungs-Division would be re-dubbed Reich (in 1942 Das Reich), and Germania was renamed Wiking. (Colourised by Richard James Molloy from the UK)
#panzergrenadier #sswaffen #waffenss #SSVerfügungsdivision #may1940 #netherlands #paleisstraat #wehrmacht #germanarmy #ww2 #worldwar2 #wwii #colourised