People always ask me - "What's the best diet?" The Paleo/Caveman diet has gained a lot of popularity in recent years and to be honest, I think it's a good diet overall.
That being said, there is no such thing as a single 'Best Diet' because Nutrition and Diet (they're not the same) are very individual.
The Paleo diet is based on the idea that we should go back to eating the foods that our ancestors ate. This makes sense because many of the health issues we face as a society are lifestyle and diet related. If we compare ourselves to our ancestors from even a 100 years ago, the food we have available is quite different.
Here's an objective look at the Pros on Cons of Paleo. You can use these to determine if this diet is for you or you could take the principles of paleo to formulate the best diet for you.
PROS of PALEO
- It's rich in protein. Protein is probably the most important nutrient and with a paleo diet, you will get plenty of it. Whether your goal is to lose fat or gain muscle, your protein needs will be covered.
- Foods such as fish are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. In addition to these, you also get a good ratio of saturated and unsaturated fats.
- Low Sugar: Most people can benefit from reducing their sugar intake. Foods that are high in sugar are typically not very nutritious and are also not very filling. Having too much sugar can also cause you to have fluctuations in energy levels.
- Nutrient-Rich: On a Paleo diet, you will be consuming plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
- High-Fiber: Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that has a lot of benefits including, Gut health, stabilizing blood sugar, satiety etc. A large % of the population doesn't get enough fiber throughout the day and for them, paleo may be a good option.
-Satiating: Because Paleo is high in Protein and Fiber, it will help keep you full and prevent you from getting hungry. This is useful if you want to lose weight.
CONS of PALEO (Continued in comments👇)