Five Things I Learned in my GI Rotation last month:
1. Everyone is very comfortable discussing their bathroom habits.
2. It is sometimes easy to differentiate from a smoker’s versus a non-smoker’s colon during a colonoscopy depending on how many polyps your doc snips off.
3. The #1 cause of liver transplantation in the US is now NASH (Non-Alcoholic SteatoHepatitis), where due to uncontrolled obesity/high blood pressure/diabetes, fat begins to deposit in the liver ultimately resulting in liver failure and cirrhosis.
4. Colonoscopies usually are odor-free.
5. Conversations during colonoscopies are the highlight of everyone’s morning.