Ruby (on the bench) @ the circa 1908 Orenco Grocery/Mercantile. There was once a butcher shop and confectionary in the annex, and eventual roller skating rink in the upper floor. After a fire destroyed the Salem Oregon Nursery Co. packing plant in 1906, Archibald McGill and Malcolm McDonald bought 1,200+ acres in Washington County for their new location and planned community Orenco, an acronym of the company name. Oregon Nursery Co. was one of the largest nurseries in the country having planted one million apple trees with a plan to export to Europe, but WWI changed the plan and the company was bankrupt by 1927. The MAX light rail now passes near here, built over the former Oregon Electric Railway line.