Sam Darnold, QB - @usc_athletics ———————————
1) Accuracy: Sam Darnold can throw a very beautiful ball. Similar to Rosen, Sam has fantastic accuracy on all levels of the field. Can throw very well on the run aswell. The one negative I have however is he struggles at times to lead the WR in stride. Could of had a few more TDs had he thrown a better deep ball.
2) Vision & Football IQ: As raw as Sam is, his vision and football IQ are ridiculously good. Sam goes through his progressions as supposed to staring a WR down. His pre snap work is going to translate fantastically in the NFL.
3) Leadership: No red flags for Darnolds leadership. Kid is a winner and is in the game 24/7. Wakes his team up when they are down and does a great job maintaining his leadership no matter the score.
4) Arm Strength: Watch the tape. He can throw that ball. No questions here.
5) Mobility and Pocket Awareness: Darnold is definitely mobile. However, I find that when the pocket collapses Darnold tries to force the ball sometimes which leads to bad throws and INTs. Pocket awareness is definitely something that can be worked on later down the road but is something to mark down as an area of improvement for Sam.
6) Anticipation: Like I said, more often than not Sam throws a perfect ball. However, there are sometimes where the ball doesn’t lead the WR in stride and is slightly underthrown. If he can work a little more on anticipating where his WRs will end up when running streak routes, he will be a very very accurate passer in the NFL.
7) Mechanics: Not the greatest mechanics. Throwing motion is a little long but other than that I don’t see any problems. Footwork in the pocket is very clean. Shortening the throwing motion will be a big adjustment for Darnold.
8) Athleticism: I never really understood the Andrew Luck comparisons... But I guess they are similar in terms of athleticism. With similar builds, Sam can extend plays with his legs more often then not. He is a very good athlete. ——————————————