Myfitnesspal is one of the most helpful and cost effective apps that can be utilised by anyone with a smart phone. Myfitnesspal is a calorie tracking app that has changed the majority of the UKs approach towards training and nutrition
Myfitnesspal uses a similar algorithm to the Harris Benedict Equation to find our maintenance level calories. During set up, you will be asked for your age, height, weight & activity levels.
You will then be asked for your goal. This goal ranges from loosing 1kg per week, too gaining 0.5kg per week. It will then give you your recommended calorie limit to stick too and you can then track your food
How to use?🤔
Food scales should be used in cohort with this app. An example of using this app is that if we were measuring out a rump steak for our next meal. We could simply weigh our steak, and it will tell us its grams (e.g. 210g). Using the search bar, we can then search for rump steak and enter the weight of your food choice and it will deduct the food from your daily allowance. We can do this for every food in our day to day activities.
How effective is myfitnesspal❓
The algorithm used for determining your maintenance calories is slightly different than some other calories. But proves to generate some high quality results.
- You may scan barcodes on food packaging and alter the serving size to suit your allowance
- It also uses a step counter built into your phone to keep you on track with your step goal
- You can alter you protein, carbohydrate & fat goal for the day. And it will highlight when you have hit and even surpassed your goal for the day.
- Human error may cause results to vary
- Pre-estimated protein, carb and fat percentages(Not a major problem but if we are being picky)