Gems are finally all cast!! Anyone who checks my insta story will know my week-long struggle I've been having with trying to cast them...😭.
There are 16 different gem shapes across the whole costume, so I first had to shape these out of air-drying clay to make sure they all fit perfectly. Once these had dried I then poured silicon rubber over them to make moulds, only I didn't add enough catalyst/hardener so the silicon never set...😒 This meant I had to try and salvage the clay gems, buy more silicon and try again. This time they worked! They moulds weren't perfect, and some of the clay got stuck in the rubber but they would do. ⠀⠀⠀
I then mixed up resin (I use Gedeo) and added ink from a sharpie pen to add colour. I thought it would fine to use coconut oil as a release agent but unfortunately this resulted in the gems having a milky lines all across the surface 😫 I tried my best to sand them down, and then painted over them with enough glitter nail polish that even @asylumstar would approve 😉 I used any leftover resin I had to re-cast as many as I could, using Vaseline this time instead and they came out great!
Sorry for the huuuge story, but I thought I'd provide as much information as I can for anyone who's curious, short of making a full tutorial!!😅😅