Happy National Volunteer Week!
A special thank you to Jack Vanderkooy, Chair of Oikocredit Canada Support Association for being an awesome team leader! 💙💛 Let's get to know Jack a little better:
How long have you been with Oikocredit Canada:
4 years .
What inspires you to volunteer with Oikocredit:
Passion for poverty reduction with a hand up vs a hand out. Using social enterprise to give people hope and dignity using innovative financial products through a cooperative banking model. .
What is your favourite thing about volunteering with Oikocredit:
The International exposure to people who are so passionate about making a meaningful difference in the world to solve some of the most complex human and social justice issues. .
What are the top 3 most important SDGs to you:
1. Sustainable Cities and communities
2. No poverty
3. Responsible consumption and production .
What are the top 3 reasons to invest in Oikocredit:
1. Cooperative organization benefiting the investors and partners
2. Socially responsible investment
3. Focus on poverty reduction through microcredit, sustainable agriculture and renewable energy .
What are your top 3 reasons why Oikocredit mission is so critical to this world:
1. Respecting the intrinsic value in every human being
2. Advocate for those who have no voice
3. Use the wealth of developed countries to assist those less developed. .
What was the first thought you had this morning:
Thankful for sunshine and spring
Thankful for a full schedule .
What cheers you up:
The passion on younger generation to make a difference in the world without the need for status. .
What’s your favourite book/author:
Rohinton Mistry – A Fine Balance – read at least 20 years ago but had a huge impact on understanding life of the poorest in India. .
Who is your hero/ if you could spend a day with a celebrity, who would it be:
Mohammed Yunus – founder of Grameen Bank .
What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten:
Traditional Chinese dinner – Tried everything they put in front of me and was not feeling very well afterwards
If you joined the circus, what would you want to perform: