New year resolutions time, but this year doing something slightly different. For 6-months I have tried to lead a more sustainable life. Here are the top 10 things that I have been doing and will endeavour to continue to do into 2017. Feel free to share! Much love! xx
1. Currently I am trying to be vegan at home and vegetarian when out and about. Less radical would be to eat less red meat.
2. Palm oil production is causing massive problems in deforestation and habitat degradation. Check the labels on the foods you eat.
3. Consider the carbon footprint of the foods you eat and the products you buy. Support local business and encourage a local economy.
4. So 6 months in to 12 months of not flying anywhere. One short haul flight is worse than every person on that plane driving their car to the destination. Get walking!
5. Often we buy things as we have no idea what stuff we already have. I had a huge declutter when I moved, read life changing magic of tidying.
6. There is so much waste in our society. Think about the food you need for the week, freeze when necessary and ignore best before dates.
7. We all know we should recycle but maybe not so much our stuff - clothes, IT etc. We have become a disposable society and an illusion that new is somehow better.
8. Only 5% of plastic is recycled, 50% of plastics is disposed. Bags for life, avoid plastic water bottles, now using bars from Lush for my shampoo etc. You can do refills for washing liquid etc.
9. Contentious issue at present and with meat and dairy organic does not mean any better standard of animal welfare (maybe worse). Fruit and veg I still feel it is worth paying the extra money.
10. People power, we all have a responsibility. The campaigns/petitions do make a difference. Big business will only change their practice and CSR through either legislation or consumer habits. Both of which we can all change.
#climatechange #bethechange #newyearresolutions #environment #vegan #moneylessman #planetearth #savetheplanet #peoplepower #lushcosmetics #betterfoodcompany #boycottpalmoil #boycottplastic