Food is fuel⛽️ #urbanhatchsays
Fueling your body for the job is one of the key steps to postnatal recovery. The adrenaline surge in your body may make you forget that you are hungry and in all the excitement you end up skipping meals. If you are breastfeeding you'll need the nutrients to make nutrient rich milk. Even if you are not, your body is in the rebuilding process and needs all the help it can get. I believe in eating strategically at every meal. Pack in the all the vitamins and nutrients you can when you can.
Here are a few eating tips to keep your energy and nutrition levels at their peak:
• Aim for 6 smaller meals rather than 3 larger meals per day.
• Make sure to include protein in every meal. Protein powders and bone broths are both easy ways to sneak extra protein into your diet. Bone broths provide an excellent source of collagen which helps with tissue repair.
• Supplement your diet- Add vitamin C, zinc and fish oils. All are super beneficial in postpartum recovery.
• Fibre- Go for natural sources such as vegetables and fruits that are low in sugar
• Avocadoes, olive oil, coconut milk/oil, nuts & seeds are excellent sources of healthy fats and will help keep you feeling full longer.
• Limit your intake of refined sugars. These bad boys sabotage healing and increase inflammation.
Eat well and recover well. Read more about thriving after birth on my Midwife Blog at @sofie_urbanhatch (link in bio) 👈🏻