10 Things you should know about SEL! Be in the know and help raise awareness.... 🙌🏼 1. Social Emotional Learning is learning life skills. They are skills that can be used throughout the entire lifetime.
2. It involves learning to interact with others in a positive manner. Youth learn how deal with conflict or uncomfortable situations with others.
3. It is a self-awareness process. SEL is learning about oneself.
4. It began in the 1990s with Daniel Goleman’s book that brought about the concept of emotional intelligence. It became one of the hot topics in education and is still one of the current education issues.
5. Involves recognizing other people’s emotions and reacting accordingly. It also involves deescalating other people’s emotions when menaced by conflict.
6. Children that have Social Emotional Learning are more likely to resist peer pressure and stay firm to their values. It is one of the current education issues because children are not learning this in school.
7. Social Emotional Learning teaches youth to embrace and respect diversity. They learn to keep an open mind and respect others’ differences.
8. Adolescents in programs with SEL are more likely to be successful, avoid crime, and complete higher education.
9. SEL is the key to successful relationships with spouse, family, children, co-workers, and peers later on in life.
10. Involves skills that are necessary in life no matter what career path is taken.
#emotionalintelligence #sel #findyourpurpose #higherEd #HiEQ