Spooky Scotland by @kristyashton
Kilchurn Castle was started in the 1440's and the original site was actually an island. The island became connected to the shore when the water level of Loch Awe was lowered in the 1800's.
Like Innischonnel Castle, which is on the south shore of Loch Awe, Kilchurn Castle was a Clan Campbell stronghold. The original building was a 5 storey tower house, which was then extended in the 17th century. The information board outside the castle gives a brief history of the castle's development and explains that Kilchurn Castle had Scotland's first purpose built barracks (circa 1693).
Tag us to be featured 🇬🇧