"Butter" Cauliflower with Coconut rice
This was last night's dinner, but having the leftovers for lunch now... and I coulda SWORN I posted about this recipe once before. Having looked back at my feed, I don't think that I have!
This is hands down, one of our family's top 3 vegan dishes. If you like Indian food, you gotta try this recipe! (LINK in comments!) I did make a few changes:
1) I skipped the added sugar. You really don't need it, the coconut rice and tomatoes are pretty sweet on their own.
2) I use one 15oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and one 15oz can of tomato sauce, as opposed to the large can it calls for.
3) I add in another vegetable, or double up on the cauliflower to balance out the sauce ratio. (In this batch, I chopped up a small rutabaga and turned out great!)
4) To keep the sauce thick, I only add in the creamy fat part of the canned coconut milk, and then add whatever's left to the rice as it finishes up cooking.
5) The recipe says to cover the tandoori seasoning on the cauliflower before baking... unnecessary step. Just throw the cauliflower (and anything else) naked in the oven, the tandoori in with the sauce, and then when the cauliflower is done baking, throw it in the sauce and let it simmer for a while longer so that it can absorb the flavors.
6) I used white Jasmine rice vs. The brown it calls for. Use what you have or what you prefer.
As is, the dish has a pretty good spice to it, but not so overpowering that the kids can't tolerate it. You can also tone down the chili powder and/or tandoori seasoning if you are sensitive to spicy dishes.
It makes a GREAT dish for #meatlessMonday or a new at home vegan culinary adventure!