Chickens have been a part of my life now for seven years.
And over that time I’ve learnt a few things that I now know to be truths about chicken keeping.
1. You will utter “chickens are funny things” a thousand times
2. They are unlike any other bird or animal I have come across
3. They are creatures of routine and habit
4. They are simple animals and disruptions or stress affect them greatly
5. Happy chickens are healthier chickens
6. They bring you in touch with the cycle of life and death like no other animal
7. Shit happens no matter how well you look after them
8. A lot of the time the best medicine is isolation, rest, warmth and time
9. Chicken keeping isn’t for the faint hearted but so worthwhile in so many ways
10. Chickens are often a catalyst for an interest in self sufficiency and an knowing more about the food you eat.
Any of these ring true to you? Have I missed any?