It's a crisp spring morning on Laurens Street. Now part of Ansonborough, this area, bounded today by Laurens, Anson and Society streets and the Cooper River, was called "Rattray's Green" (for a previous owner, John Rattray) when it was purchased in 1755 by Henry Laurens, later President of the Continental Congress. Here in 1764, he and his wife, Martha, created a four-acre botanical garden, containing such exotics as orange, olive, lime, capers, ginger and guinea grass, with the aid of John Watson, an English gardener.
The property was laid out in building lots in 1804 by his son, Henry Laurens the Younger. The family name is commemorated in Laurens Street. Four acres of botanical gardens sounds pretty nice right now... #ansonborough #historiccharlestonfoundation #charleston #laurensstreet #gardens #urbangarden #springtimeincharleston