Our ex P&W/ex Red Arrow/ex Septa "Strafford Car".
This car was one of 11 built for the P&W by JG Brill between 1924 and 1929, and originally was classically ornate with a top speed of 44mph. However, the stock market crash motivated a shift of the P&W from a normal interurban trolley line to a high speed commuter line, and with the arrival of the modern and lightening fast Brill Bullets in 1931 these practically new cars were already obsolete for use of the P&W. As a result they were rebuilt to be faster and more austere; now capable of reaching up to 68mph. Remarkably this car, along with the bullets, remained in continued high speed service until about 1989.