Moms meatballs and sauce... perfect for Sunday supper 🍝🍝🍝 Growing up my dad never liked his sauce or meatballs to have too much in them, and as luck would have it I married a man with similar taste; so this recipe is perfect!
For the sauce:
1 can crushed tomatoes (I like hunts or pastene)
1 Tbsp EVOO
4 gloves chopped garlic
5 basil leaves chopped
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
For the meatballs:
1.5 lbs hamburger meat
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tsp parsley
4 basil leaves chopped
1. Mix together your meatballs in a large bowl. Combine the hamburger meat, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, basil, parsley and salt and pepper together. Let rest for a minute
2. While those rest; heat a Tbsp of EVOO in BOTH a large skillet and a large pot- both on medium high.
3. Once both are sizzling, add the 4 gloves of garlic to the pot and stir for about a minute until fragrant. Then add in the can of tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and let simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low.
4. While the sauce simmers, form your meatballs into 1 1/2 inch balls with your hands. You can also use a cookie scoop if easier.
5. Sear the meatballs on both sides in the skillet for about 2-3 minutes per side.
6. While the meatballs sear, add in the oregano, basil and parsley to the sauce and stir to combine.
7. Once the meatballs are seared, add them all to the sauce pot and stir gently to combine. Then let simmer on LOW heat for about 1- 1 1/2 hours.
8. Serve up on a toasted hoagie roll with shaved parmesan or your favorite pasta!!! 🍝😍🙋🏼