FARMERS’ MARKET VANILLA ICE CREAM
Nowadays, more people are looking for products made in the traditional way with the best ingredients. Small production units are popping up. Farmers with easy and close access to basic commodities are starting to produce some of the best quality ice cream.
This recipe is created with this idea as the starting point.
1 2/3 cups whole milk
1 cup double cream
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons locust bean gum
2 tablespoons skimmed milk powder
½ cup sugar
1 Bourbon vanilla pod
1. Slice the vanilla pod longside and scrape out the vanilla seeds
2. Heat the milk and vanilla pod just below the boiling point
3. Mix the eggs, sugar, locust bean gum, and skimmed milk
powder until the mixture turns pale and fluffy
4. Gently pour the hot milk over the egg mixture and stir
5. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, and reheat up to
6. Remove from heat and cool in cold water, and then refrigerate
7. Remove the vanilla pod and blend in the whipped cream and
the vanilla seeds
8. Freeze in an ice cream machine
This recipe makes a really good ice cream with the same rich and fluffy consistency you might get from a professional ice cream bar.