~Then and Now~
With a mix of architectural styles including Victorian Romanesque, the Tennessee Club was built in 1890. The main purpose of the club was to house social gatherings. In 1931, the Commercial Appeal reported the following about membership: “To have free access to it, to be of the company that gathers there daily for lunch, bridge, or to loaf and read, is to have ‘arrived’ in Memphis.” The building now houses prominent law firm Burch, Porter & Johnson.
1906 📸credit: Detroit Publishing Co./loc.org