Hey all! Lindsay here from Active Health Institute 💪🏼! I wanted to share part ✌🏼of my favourite exercises for improving squat mechanics with you. A common limiting factor of squat depth is ankle mobility. Try pairing this ankle mobility exercise with paused goblet squats for functional retraining of your entire lower kinetic chain 🏋🏼♀️ .
Equipment: dowel, weight (optional)
1. In a half kneeling position, place the dowel along the outside border of your foot and wrap it across the front of your shin to the inside of your knee. This ensures your knee tracks properly over top of your foot and ankle.
2. Keeping your heel on the floor, lunge forward as far as you comfortably can with no pain. Pause at the bottom for 2-3 seconds, then return to the start position.
3. Repeat this 5 times on each ankle, moving in a slow and controlled manner.
4. Stand with your feet slightly externally rotated (out-toed). 5. Engage your core to protect your spine throughout this exercise.
6. Lower down into a deep squat keeping your heels on the floor and your knees tracking over your second toe (think about pulling your knees outward to avoid collapsing).
7. Pause here for a moment, then return to standing. Repeat 5-8 times .
#motionislotion #preventionisthebestmedicine #thegreatestwealthishealth #physiotherapy #healthpromotion #kneehealth #anklehealth #hiphealth #loveyourspine #core #activelifestyle