YES YES YES it's that time of year where all the food made for Diwali just tastes a bit better than normal & one of my absolute favourites is Chakri! OMG I could eat these for days & days but when they hold onto the oil it can make you feel a bit sick! So here at #STHCBakes we do what we do best...twist it and manipulate the recipe to fit a healthier lifestyle! There is a caveat that by doing things this way it will take longer than usual but IMO it's worth it. So here it is...super simple, healthier than normal #Chakri / #Chakli recipe... Feel free to try your existing recipe...the one I am posting will make you roughly 20-25 depending on how big you do them...also if you have an #airfryer these work great in there too.
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 instant mash potato
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp #tumeric
1 tbsp of ground fresh green chillies
salt to taste (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oil (plus extra for brushing if you want them extra crispy)
***a pinch of asafoetida (hing) , optional*** Method
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well into a soft but not sticky dough
2. Whip out the good old chakri maker and fill it up with the heavenly goodness which is the dough and start laying out the chakri in swirls (i used 4-5 rounds on mine but totally your choice how big/small you wanna go)
3. Brush them very lightly with oil if you want to give them a nice colour and crisp (or use spray oil)
4. Place in a preheated oven at 170 C for around 20-25 mins turning half way through...keep an eye on them to make sure they dont catch and burn.
5. You can also #Bake them in an airfryer to get a really good overall bake due to the air circulating ...if you do try, I set mine to 170 C for 12 minutes.
6. Allow them to cool for 5 mins and then if they survive the initial onslaught keep them in an airtight container! NO QUALITY STREET TUBS!! ha ha
#Diwali #Diwali2018 #Indian #Gujurati #gujji #Family #Festival #HealthierAlternative #Snack #GlutenFree #diwalisnacks #TastyVegetarian #vegan #IndianFoodBloggers #Nasta #Vegetarian #baked #fitfam #Crispy #AirFryer #HappyDiwali #Deepavali #Dipavali #Hindu #Sikh