Don't believe the hype!
I do quite a bit of cosmetic editing for my publications these days. Since I can't disclose details of who I do it for, here's a demo using my face.
In case you're into playing around with apps, here's what I used:
• iPhone 8 Plus: This is what I took the original pics with (inner camera).
• @BeautyPlusApp: This app lets you change skin tone, clear up the skin, enlarge and brighten eyes, shrink the nose, reduce shadows under eyes, etc.
• @FaceApp.Official: This adjusts the shape, lighting, etc. It's basically morphing/mixing your face slightly against a template of a good-looking person. Also, for faces it recognizes as male, it gives you the option to change the facial hair pattern. If it recognizes the face as female, it gives hair and makeup options.
• Patch: This blurs the background behind the subject.
• Layout: By Instagram, this app fits more than one photo into a frame.