This is the best low carb zucchini noodle dish I have ever had! YUMMMM.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
2 red bell peppers
5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp paprika
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
1/3 cup canned artichoke hearts
2 large zucchini, julienned
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Walnuts, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to broil and move the oven rack to the top position. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut the bell peppers into quarters and remove the seeds. Place flat on the baking sheet with the skin side up. Broil for 12-15 minutes until the skins are blackened.
2. Place the blackened peppers into a paper bag or Ziploc and close. Allow the peppers to steam for 10-15 minutes to loosen the skin.
3. Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the paprika. Turn the heat to low to keep warm.
4. Remove the bell peppers from the paper bag and gently peel off the skin. Place into the saucepan with the onions and add three to four tablespoons of olive oil. Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree, or transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more olive oil if necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a separate pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the spinach and artichoke hearts to the pan and cook until the artichoke hearts are slightly browned. Stir in the zucchini, and then add your desired amount of the red pepper pesto. Toss to coat. Serve warm, garnished with walnuts and parsley.