In episode 17 of my THC HeartBytes WhatsApp podcast, I shared a recipe for Ragi Malt or Ragi Ambli, a popular drink made from Ragi in Karnataka during summer to hydrate and cool down.
It uses just two main ingredients - ragi flour and buttermilk. Vegans please Note: To substitute buttermilk, mix non-dairy milk with a foodie acid such as lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or brown rice vinegar and let sit for 5-10 minutes. The general rule is to add 1 Tablespoon foodie acid to a 1 cup measuring cup, then add non-dairy milk and fill to the top.
Here's the recipe, reproduced with permission from Dr Neha Mathur's blog - whiskaffair.com:
1. Heat 2 and 1/2 cups of water in a pan.
2. Meanwhile, mix ragi flour in the remaining 1/2 cups of water. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
3. Once the water comes to a boil, slowly add the ragi mixture in the boiling water.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps.
5. Remove the pan from heat and let this mixture cool completely.
6. Slowly add buttermilk to this cooled ragi mixture and whisk nicely. Add salt, roasted cumin powder, hing or asafoetida, curry leaves and onion and mix well. Chill for a few hours before serving. Garnish with fresh coriander.
There you have it, a tasty & healthy drink for the summer that’ll fill you up and cool you down at the same time, while also keeping you hydrated.
Thank you Dr Neha for the cool recipe! And thank you Monica, of @TheEcoTrunk for sending me the Ragi flour.
Also, on Sunday's episode of my WhatsApp podcast, I mentioned a special code for THC HeartBytes subscribers who can use it to enjoy an INR 100 discount on purchases above INR 1000 on @TheEcoTrunk till the end of May.
I keep conducting contests, giveaways and discounts on my show, to subscribe for free from anywhere in the world, just WhatsApp START THC to (+91) 8355909603.
#theheartchef #THCheartbytes #ragi #millet #redmillet #fingermillet #whiskaffair #summerdrink #karnataka #southindian #hydrate #cooldown #staycool #discount #easyrecipe #drinkrecipe #theecotrunk #buttermilk #vegan #bloggerssupportingbloggers #instachef