The Massacre of Summer 2017 💀⚔️⚰️ There once was a booming SCOBY hotel, in that hotel lived GrandMOTHER SCOBY and all eleven of her babies/grand-babies. Suddenly, one evening (June 12th,2017) the hotel manager (me) left without a trace for 3 weeks.. Upon the managers return grandMOTHER SCOBY & her kin noticed two new babies with her, these new babies weren’t quite as slimy and gross as they were.. The SCOBY family began to worry, they were starving to death & couldn’t seem to get the managers attention.
Eventually, all twelve SCOBYs died a slow painful death... drying up one by one.
Months later the manager returned to the hotel only find one big crusty dried up old jar, that once was a luscious breeding ground of bacteria & yeast.
Rest In Peace SCOBY fam.
Anyways, if you’re still reading this.. after I had the twins last summer I neglected my SCOBYs & they all died. #sad
SO! I grew a fresh new one and here is how you can grow your own SCOBY too!! You will need:
- 7c water - 1/2c sugar
- 4 bags of black tea or 1 TBSP loose tea
- 1c unflavoured, unpasteurized kombucha - large pot
- large glass jar or glass drink dispenser
- long handled spoon
- tightly woven cloth
- rubber band or string
1. Bring water to a boil, remove pot from heat & stir in sugar until dissolved. add tea bags & allow to steep until tea cools to room temp.
2. Pour sweet tea into your jar and pour the kombucha on top. if you see the little bits/blobs in your bottle of kombucha make sure that gets transferred into the jar.
3. Stir to combine
4. Cover the mouth of your jar with cloth & secure with rubber band or string.
5. Place your jar somewhere out of direct sunlight, where it won’t get moved around a lot & is at average room temp. leave for approx 4 weeks. a film will cover the top of the liquid and get thicker as time goes on. *I used #organic black tea & organic cane sugar **I left my SCOBY for almost 5 weeks, it’s still pretty thin but will thicken & smooth out as time goes on. ***In these pics I am making a double batch, I grew one for a friend at the same time.
Stay tuned to find out how to brew #kombucha with your new #SCOBY!!!