✨ KOMBUCHA TEA ✨
Don't dig the sour taste? I get it, it's not everyone's cup of tea-literally 😉.
But this pungeant sparkling concoction-made from fermenting green tea (or black) with symbiotic bacteria and yeasts-carries some interesting health benefits, making it a good idea to add to your diet!
FIRST let's get something straight-#kombucha has sugar. It's added prior to fermentation to feed the bacteria & yeats to allow them to multiply, blossom and take over the world! And by 'world' we mutually understand that I mean our wonderful GUT microbiomes!
This sugar is there to FEED the bacteria, and any residual sugar leftover should be minimal. A typical 500 ml bottle that you buy in the store should have between 4-9 gr. of sugar. Bottles with 20+ gr should maybe be avoided, esp. if they are less than 400 ml. Unless you're on a mission to get a sugar high, and possibly some pre-diabetes 😉. Of course, making it at home allows you to control sugar levels...and the longer you let your kombucha sit, the longer it will fermented, the less sweet it will be and the more benefit it will provide!
This being said, kombucha is made with higher quality sugar, usually in the form of cane or coconut, organic, non GMO & from sustainable sources. NOT ALL sugars are equal.
And swapping out our box juices, sodas and even alcoholic beverages with kombucha, can only be beneficial-for both our digestion and our glycemic index!
And this brings me to the PERKS:
1) Kombucha tea is a living, functional food, teeming with live enzymes & probiotics which are great to replenish and balance out our good gut bacteria.
2) It's a good source of antioxidants, particularly if it's made with organic high quality green tea
3) The sour taste represents acetic acid, which helps kill bad bacteria and supports liver detoxification. The more sour, the healthier 😃
4) Contains B vitamins-inc. the infamous B12 important for energy production
5) Immune support, as 80% of our immune system resides in our guts! Anything that supports our diverse gut bacteria, promotes strong immune function 💪