Recovery nutrition is VITAL for your fitness journey as it enhances exercise performance, and repairs muscle tissue so you can smash the gym again!
There are FOUR main goals of Post Workout Nutrition:
1. Replenish Glycogen Stores
- Carbohydrates are the main fuel source utilised by the muscles during exercise.
- Muscles only store enough glycogen to last 60-90 mins of training. Replacing these glycogen stores after working out is imperative!
🔑To do this, complex carbohydrates are recommended such as: Brown rice, quinoa, banana, legumes/beans.
- Releasing natural inflammatory markers is a healthy response from our immune system to protect the body from physical trauma.
- Diet is key in reducing this natural release of inflammation.
- Research shows OMEGA 3 has a natural anti-inflammatory effect.
🔑Foods rich in OMEGE3 include: Salmon, Tuna, Sardines, Mackerel, Chia Seeds, Flaxseeds
3. Tearing Muscle Fibers
- Resistance training causes tearing of fibres and connective tissue of muscles which allows new tissue to be synthesised, known as muscle hypertrophy.
- Protein, which is made up of amino acids, helps reduce the length of post muscle soreness by supporting the repair and growth process.
🔑Foods rich in BCAA’s (Branch Chain Amino Acids): Eggs, Red Meat, Poultry, Dairy, Seafood, Whey Protein, Nuts
4. Reduce Muscular Aches and Pains
- A build up of lactic acid, contributes to muscle soreness can be due to magnesium deficiency.
- Magnesium promotes smooth muscle relaxation.
🔑Foods rich in magnesium: Seafood, Avocado, Leafy Greens, Yoghurt, Cacao
🔥 Follow @f45_training_brownsbay for more nutrition, fitness and motivation!
#brisbanenutrition #brisbanegym #brisbanehealth #brisbanefitness #brisbane #f45 #f45training #f45brownsbay #f45challenge