Alzheimer's has struck another blow to our family, and Grandma & Grandad could really use your prayer and support.
On Sunday Grandma was sorting their medications into their pill boxes, just like she had so many other times. She poured out a handful of her heart medication and set it on the dresser to put in her pill box. Grandad walked up, scooped up the whole handful and swallowed them before Grandma could stop him. In just a blink of the eye!
Grandma got him to the ER at St Francis, and they worked closely with Poison Control to devise a treatment plan. They transferred him to Roper downtown for a temporary pace maker since the side effects could affect his heart. They also sedated him and put him on a ventilator to protect his airway during all of this. He has been in the ICU since Sunday.
We are ALL grateful and thankful that he hasn't had any major heart complications from the medication. (The Drs were surprised at how minimal his side effects were!) I'm pleased to say that they were able to remove the temporary pace maker and the ventilator today! He was groggy, but himself after they removed everything. They are continuing to monitor right now, and we will keep you posted with updates as they come.
We appreciate your support in this time. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease robbing of memories, of brilliance, of independence, and so much more.
#endalz #endalzheimers #alzheimersdisease #ihatealzheimers