The final steps: the glaze tests. Results. Fired to 1300ºC in electric oxidation.
The top row: I paid no ($£€) for any of this / I researched found dug and tested all of this myself.
All: the clay body is "5" (their names are numbers as in the order in which I dug them from the ground, 1 2 3 4 & 5) 100% from-the-ground as was given to me.
The glazes: left-to-right: .100 3
The bottom row: some I paid for some I didn't.
All: the clay body as above.
The glazes: left-to-right: .50/50 granite (dug) limestone (bought)
.80/10/10 feldspar (bought) ash (from my fireplace) quartz (bought)
.80/20 feldspar (bought) ash (from my fireplace)
The last two, bottom-right, they didn't turn out as I hoped but are still okay. I'm trying testing to make a soft white "Hagi" glaze that creeps and crawls, word on the street says it should be made from some feldspar and ash, but that's only what I can find online and most Japanese potters shy from sharing their recipes so I'm hearing second- third- fourth-hand western interpretations of what they do. (That and "ash" is rarely the same ash: if from this or that tree or plant, what sorts of soil the plant grew in, if you're using the inside of the tree or the bark, washed or unwashed (that is, washing removes the water-soluble compounds (potassium and sodium hydroxides) that help the glaze melt in less predictable ways).) I didn't find that glaze this time but I did find these.
So now the final step: box up the pots, bucket up the glazes, tonight at 9:30 pick up the rental car get it to my studio fill it with boxes and buckets, drive home and sleep and tomorrow before sunrise hit the road.
#glazetest #glazetesting #testtiles #ceramique #contemporaryceramics #wildclay #localclay #localmaterials #ceramics #cremerging #ashglaze #handmade #electrickiln #cone10 #madeinaustria #madeinvienna