The Vintage Series collaboration by @theblacksheepsurvives and @dont_gaslight_me_bruh
Part 3- Baiting
Narcissists can garner mammoth amounts of narcissistic supply on demand via calculatedly baiting their targets - and they know exactly which buttons to press!
Abusers rejoice in manufacturing bad feeling - they will get off on your tears, anger, frustration, humiliation, or perhaps seeing you suddenly going quiet - it's what gives these sickos their potent hit of fuel.
They especially love setting you up to react in front of others (flying monkeys, their cronies, family members - or even a therapist) to 'prove' how 'awful' you are, but if an impromptu opportunity to bait presents itself when you're alone with the narc they'll take it.
These monsters are extremely stealth at how they rig situations to somehow portray themselves as the innocent party, while the true victim ends up looking like the unhinged troublemaker causing the issue.
As if that wasn't enough the narcissist can garner bonus supply from playing the martyr, obtaining sympathy from their mob for 'all they must have to put up with'. Baiting methods can include:
- Bringing up something negative or embarrassing about you that may have a grain of truth to make it seem plausible.
- Telling a complete lie about you.
- Bringing up a controversial or polarizing topic that they know you're passionate about.
- Degrading you under their breath.
- Giving you a filthy look across the room.
- Re-traumatizing you about a previous abuse incident that only you know about, thus triggering a horrific C-PTSD reaction as you're forced to re-live the unresolved past incident.
The narcissist will feign innocence whilst inflicting torture on the scapegoat and garnering sadistic pleasure from the victim's pain.
Sometimes they will even bait a whole bunch of people at once by bringing up polarizing topics like politics in a group setting such as a family dinner, causing everybody to argue with one another. Meanwhile they just 'innocently' sit back with the popcorn, smirking as they get their rocks off on the manufactured chaos unfolding in front of them.