This is the original ship bell of the SMS Stosch. She was built for the German Imperial Navy at the AG Vulkan shipyard of Szczecin and completed in the year 1878. she was one of the six sisters of the Bismarck-class, a three-masted, full-rigged hybrid corvette with a 2344 metric horsepower steam engine. Her story symbolized pretty well the colonial aspirations of the German Empire. In 1882 she was sent to be the flag ship of the newly formed East Asia Squadron of the Imperial Navy. She was on duty in the coasts of China and Corea until 1885, when she was commissioned to the East African Squadron. By that time she had been newly classified as a cruiser frigate. After a short but successful service in East Africa, she returned to Germany that same year. She was then made to a school ship for the navy. Still, she took part in several operations overseas that had not merely to do with her function as a school. In 1907 she was stricken from the lists of the German Navy and sold for scrapping to a Dutch company.
Her bell is part of our exhibition on deck 4 of the museum.