JL DIPONEGORO 1950 - People who have lived in Jakarta between 1942 and 1950 must often have seen city council workers changing the street signs throughout the city. First of all, the Japanese ordered on 30 November 1942 to remove all Dutch names from the streets, and they were given Indonesian or Japanese names. A week later Batavia was changed into Djakarta. The road "Oranje Boulevard" in Menteng (now Jl Diponegoro) became "Syoowa Doori" in December 1942. The Japanese also decided it was forbidden to talk Dutch and/or English on the telephone, or when sending telegrams. Later it was forbidden to correspond and communicate in all Western languages, only Japanese and Malay/Indonesia were allowed. When after 1945, during the so-called 'bersiap' years, the city (and the names of Batavia and Djakarta were both used interchangeably, depending on which side you were) gradually became under Dutch control again, the street names were also given back their original pre-WWII names. This massive operation was completed by 1947, and also included a major upgrade to roads and pedestrian paths, as they were not maintained during the years of war. "Syoowa Doori" became "Oranje Boulevard" again. After the transfer of sovereignty on 27 December 1949, the new Indonesian government ordered a change of all street names, but during this hasty operation most street signs were literally translated from Dutch into Indonesian, and to avoid confusion amongst the population the new street signs were placed on the pole with the old street name still present, but placed underneath. " Oranje Boulevard" became "Djalan Raja Oranje" (Jalan Raya Oranye) in March 1950. Perhaps the authorities didn't realise that "Oranje" was the name of the Dutch royal family, or they deliberately waited until President Soekarno ditched the Republik Indonesia Serikat, as by September 1950 the name was changed again, this time into its present name "Djalan Diponegoro" (Jalan Diponegoro). This article in Dutch newspaper Het Gooi en Ommeland shows a rare picture of the situation in 1950, as -despite this significant operation- there aren't many photos showcasing the change in street names.