You know what’s easier than pie? This Blueberries and Cream Crostata recipe, because crostata is just a fancy way of saying free-form pie. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and fresh strawberry slices on top for some red, white & blue action 🇺🇸🎆
Your favorite pie dough, chilled, (enough for a 9″ single crust pie)
3 cups fresh blueberries, washed
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
2) Roll chilled pie dough into a circle with a (roughly) 9″ diameter. Transfer to a baking sheet.
3) Spoon blueberries onto the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around the edge. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the fruit, pleating it as necessary — it should cover about 1 inch of the blueberries all the way around, leaving many of them still exposed. .
4) Brush the top of the folded over dough with egg and sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of sugar. .
5) Dot the exposed blueberries with pieces of butter.
6) Bake the crostata for 20 minutes and remove from the oven, but do not turn the oven off. Temper the heavy cream: using a large spoon, gently press on the exposed blueberries to spoon out some of their juices. Slowly drizzle the hot liquid into the room temperature cream and, with a fork ready in your other hand, whisk. Repeat until you’ve added enough hot liquid from the crostata to warm the cream. Then pour the cream over the fruit. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the juices bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.