sooooo... last-minute decision, Monday evening at the end of the long wknd...
I'd seen @bravetart's recipe for skillet chocolate cake, which mesmerized me right away, because I think desserts baked in skillets are the niftiest and prettiest ever .
Then I saw lots of pictures of @ottolenghi / @helen_goh_bakes 's take-home chocolate cake because it was the challenge recipe for #rainydaycookbookclub .
THEN on my road trip I listened to @smittenkitchen's interview on @seriouseats , where she mentioned her 'I want chocolate cake' cake, which of COURSE I'd seen but hadn't made yet .
so 3 different chocolate cakes it was! this wasn't a comparison per se, but I was curious to taste them in close succession...
there are some similarities:
- all straightforward plain chocolate cakes
- all reasonably quick (>hour prep time for cakes/toppings - I didn't hurry)
- 2 have cocoa, then the O cake has chocolate .
there are some differences:
- ↖️ SK cake is the suuuper-classic chocolate cake taste (as if from a mix, but homemade!)
✅ personal success with this one was getting consistent compliments on how light & fluffy my (American) buttercream was = butter temp win!
- ↙️ was neat but actually somewhat challenging to accomplish in the skillet without spilling, and I didn't love the chocolate I used for the ganache, so I hold myself responsible for perfecting this .
- ↘️ was a denser, deeper-flavored cake than the others, so to me more of a 'special-occasion' cake, while being easy & versatile .
then it took me all week to give all this away... 🙄 .
#smittenkitchen #bravetart #ibakedottolenghi #chocolatecake #chocolatecakefordays #literally #chocolateextravaganza #wentoverboard #somuchchocolate