Movie review! 📽
I was gonna use my book including art from the movie but it was too big to fit into the photo 😒 so here's a pretty Dark Tower cover instead!
My non-spoiler thoughts: I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It was a similar experience to reading Wuthering Heights... one minute I was like "this is awesome" and then the next minute I was like "😒😒 no". I wish my facial expressions could have been recorded 😂 I always knew it wasn't gonna be the movie I wanted, but I went in with an open mind knowing it was gonna be different - it's not an adaptation of the books - and I think that's a good way to approach it.
It will get slightly spoilery from here on out... so beware of SPOILERS.
What I liked 😆
- The highlight for me was Tom Taylor (Jake). He is LITERALLY how I imagine Jake. I loved his performance.
- I also liked Idris Elba in the Roland role more than I thought? Some pretty cool Gunslinger skills 😎
- I liked the King Easter eggs, I got shivers multiple times at the Gunslinger's creed and hearing things like "long days and pleasant nights"
- I LOVED Roland's reactions to earth, that bus scene was possibly the highlight of the movie for me 😂
What I did not like 😒
- When Matthew McConaughey was verified as the Man in Black, I was confident he'd nail it. To me... he did not nail it. Something was missing for me. He felt kinda gimmicky?
- As for the final face-off between Roland and the MIB, I was sliding down my seat in embarrassment. I thought it was mega cringe and I hated it.
- I didn't see any damn roses in this entire movie? *EDIT - okay there was a graffiti rose at the end - hardly the same thing as a fucking field full of them*
- The general storyline bugged me slightly. My boyfriend asked me "is that how the series ends then? With Roland killing the MIB?" And I'm like NO! That's not the point of the fricking series!!! And I know this isn't a direct adaptation so I can't really complain about that..but I am, cos it annoyed me.
Ultimately, I still feel very conflicted. I don't think it represents how special and unique this book series is, but I still had a good time, and I'd probably give it a solid 6 out of 10 🌹